Monday, February 15, 2010

Swelling in joints is now constant

Pain level: 4
Dislocations so far today: none yet
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder, left elbow
Meds: Naproxen, hardcore dose.
Major complaint: stiffness, weakness, throbbing pain and swelling in the joints of my hand--right worse than left by far.



Sorry I haven't been on here in a few days but my internet has been fuzzy to zilch.  Woke up Saturday with bursitis starting in my right hip, but walking like a complete dunce for the day let me wake up Sunday with almost no bursitis pain in that leg.  Woohoo!

My hands are another story.  I've recently started waking up with visible swelling in both hands, with my right hand being much worse than the left.  Same with mobility.  I have a much larger range of motion in my left hand when I wake up than my right.  I normally can't make a fist with my right for at least 2 hours after waking up.  Up until a few days ago, the swelling would go down about halfway through the day.  But now it doesn't go down.  The joints in my hands (mostly right) are swollen 24 hours a day.  Naproxen doesn't bring it down, but does help with the tenderness.   The pain and stiffness does go down as the day goes on, but not the swelling.  It's really freaking me out.

Wednesday can't get here fast enough. 

EDIT:  My mother (who has lived with Rheumatoid since she as 3 years old), when she heard about my weakness/stiffness getting worse, gave me a stress ball with homework to squeeze it during the day.  Fittingly, it is apple-shaped.

Time: 12:36 PM
L
Can touch forearm?  Just barely
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 80º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 120º
R
Can touch forearm? Not even close--and OW it hurts to try!
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 50º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 90º

No comments:

Post a Comment