Thursday, December 3, 2009

First Entry--you know how it is.

I was born with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type.  And if you've never heard of it, that's  okay.  Most of the doctors I've seen don't know about it either.  EDS is what is often called an "orphan disease," referring to a medical condition that is so rare that doctors barely ever see it in person, let alone treat it.  Like the medical community has abandoned it.  As a result I developed symptoms at the age of 10, but was not diagnosed until I was 23.

Super-quick oversimplied sum up: EDS is a collagen disorder, collagen being a protein that holds your body together.  My body doesn't make enough of it, so my body tends to fall apart.  I am too flexible.  I dislocate multiple joints often while doing small things like opening a door.  It's a chronic pain disorder and all the fun stuff that comes with it.  In addition throw in lumbar spinal stenosis, scoliosis, congenital lumbar spinal fusion, etc. You get the idea.

ANYWAY.  I'm not here to lecture about EDS, but I figured that if someone pulled this up to read, I might as well give them a tiny intro before I start the log for myself.    I have been meaning to start keeping a log for a while--something I can refer back to when doctors ask how often does this come up and that kind of thing.  But I suck at grabbing a notebook and writing stuff down.  However, I can  spend a few minutes on friggin Farmville everyday, hence the verdict is to do this online.  So, now: on to business.

Pain level: 6/7
Dislocations so far today: Right wrist once
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder (4-5 times), right ankle once.
Meds: Naproxen- normal dose.

Major complaint: inflammation of knees, pain in C7 area of spine.

It's been two days since the epically scary elevator dropping 2-3 feet escapade and my knees are at the height of the whatthefuckdidyoudo??? stage.  They keep giving out on me.  Wife says I look like I'm "dropping it down" and hip hop dancing when I walk, but really just one of my legs won't hold.  At least look cute when I hobble, right?

Stairs suck today.  I'm going down them by sitting on each step.  Going up on my knees. Yeah, I'm keepin' it classy.  Standing Max. today is about 5 minutes.  10 minutes if I have a wall to lean on. 

Spine is sporadically iffy today.  Getting nerve pain down one leg for no damn reason.  Just these zings even when I'm not moving at all.  Like when my knees bug me, my back's like, "Hey!  I'm still here too!"

C7 area of my neck is sore.  Feels almost heavy which doesn't really make sense.  Stiff probably.  I keep adjusting my posture so I don't piss my neck off anymore than I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment