Monday, December 28, 2009

Doc visit and more snow

Pain level: 6
Dislocations so far today: right ankle once, right thumb once.
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder multiple times, left shoulder once, right wrist once.
Meds: Naproxen--hardcore dose.  Tramadol to come.
Major complaint: Inflammation and stiffness in morning into afternoon--especially in hands, elbows, knees, and spine.

Had my 6 month check-in with my primary care physician today.  Dr. B is fantastic so I wasn't nervous to talk to him at all which is a real novelty to me after so many years.  We went over my meds that had expired/run out (hydrocodone & hardcore naproxen respectively) and he gave me refills so I should be set for another 6 months to a year.  For my insomnia he's putting me on amitriptyline as needed at night to see if that will help me start sleeping better.  Starting out at half a pill and working up to 2 at the most.  Hopefully I can stay low.

Dr. B was concerned about how stiff I feel and the lack of mobility in my hands that I've been having in the morning recently.  I've always tested positive but low for Rheumatoid Arthritis but it's always been passed off as a false positive because my mother has RA.  Dr. B thinks that since EDS puts me at an increased risk and so does my family history that we should look into it more.  He gave me papers to get more bloodwork done and is having me go see another Rheumatologist.  He asked if I had seen a Rheumy before and I reminded him that I had seen Dr. A in Boston--and that he was the one who thought I was a nutcase making this shit up for fun.  Dr B said, "Oh, well he doesn't count so you need to see another one."  Dr. B is awesome.

So went to get those filled, but the snow started coming down something awful so we just dropped them off and will pick them up tomorrow.

Today has been standard stiff/pain for winter cold and snow.  Hobbling like crazy.  When we told the pharmacist that we'd come back tomorrow for the meds she looked horrified and asked if I was sure that I didn't need them now.  Must have seen the hydrocodone and how I am walking to today and figured I was seriously injured.  I wanted to tell her, it's okay hon'--this is just how I walk.

Funny moment #2:  Dr B was checking how stiff my fingers were and I explained how they are when I first wake up and that they were much better now.  He bent them back so that they were touching my forearm.  He gave me this look like, these are stiff???? I explained that normally it doesn't feel like I'm stretching to bend them that much and he gets it but he still thinks it's funny how different I am from the rest of his patients. 

More snow tomorrow and a long car ride, but it's to pick up someone kickass, so I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment