Friday, March 12, 2010

Dear Meloxicam

Pain level: 6
Dislocations so far today: none
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder a couple of times

Meds: meloxicam--1 tablet.  Considering pain meds to sleep
Major complaint: Spinal stenosis pain down both legs, much more stiffness/pain/swelling in the joints of my hand (R>L)  Also in my feet and wrists. 


Okay, Meloxicam, we had a good thing going.  And while I appreciate that your high concentration of anti-inflammatories haven't burned a hole into my digestive tract, you're also allowing my hands to swell up again.  I woke up several times during the pre-dawn hours because anytime I would flex the fingers of my left hand in my sleep, the pain would wake me up.  I don't get a whole lot of sleep in the first place, Mel--Can I call you Mel?--and I really need the sleep that I can get without my hands interfering along with every other joint.  At the times I would wake up, I could barely move my left hand, but my right hand, the bad one, seemed to be doing fine.  

But when I woke up for good in the morning, it was my right hand that was a mess.   I could tell even before I looked at it or felt it with my other hand.  The middle joint on my right index finger was immense. It just felt wrong.  Big.  And it was.  It still is.  I tried to move my right hand, and it was back to pulling with all my might, but the fingers barely curl.  Great, Meloxicam--this is what you are supposed to be preventing.  This is your job.  My job is to take you with food, drink water until I feel like a washing machine, not lay down for 30 min, and not complain too much about how dizzy you make me.  I do my part--you're getting lazy.  

It's 3PM now and the pain has come down enough that I can finally use the finger, which makes typing much easier.  I can almost make a fist with the rest of my hand, but that index finger still sticks up no matter how hard I try to squeeze it down.  The knuckle is puffy and it doesn't even straighten all the way.  Fun stuff.

Also, while I appreciate that my hips are doing loads better today, I was not made aware at the beginning of our relationship that you can only work on one problem at a time.  I need a medication who is willing to multitask.  You understand, right?

However, I really shouldn't ignore the fact that there is a chance that you ARE doing your job, but my body has thrown a truckload of inflammation at you that you simply are not equipped to handle.  Or maybe the main issue is that my skin is tightening, causing the lack of mobility, and I don't think you can do much about that.   If that's the case, you are trying your best--my apologies.  If not, step it up.  
 
Hand stiffness using middle finger has measure
Time: 3:31 PM
Can touch forearm?  Just just barely.  Ow.
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 55º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 110º
R
Can touch forearm? *laughing* NOT AT ALL

Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 30º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 80º  HOLY COW!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment