Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stiff upper lip

Pain level: 6
Dislocations so far today: left index finger
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder a couple of times, left elbow once, right scapula once
Meds: Ketoprofen-- 1 twice a day. 
Major complaint:  stiffness/pain/swelling in my fingers, hand, and wrist (R>L), back pain.

My upper lip is swollen.  Only on the right side.  What the hell?  It was fine when I woke up, it was fine during and after breakfast (same breakfast I've had all week so no weird foods), but maybe 2 hours after eating, it started feeling puffy and tingly.  Like how my mouth used to feel when I'd have cause-never-identified-allergic reactions when I was 12-ish and my lips would swell up.  But no, this was just my upper lip and just the right part of it.  And really, it's less the lip and more the section of skin above my lip but below my nose.  If I press on it with my fingers it's definitely bigger and maybe a little lumpy?  I think it's gone down a bit since it first cropped up this afternoon, but it's still swollen.  I have no idea what this means other than my right side doesn't like me anymore.

So far so good with the Ketoprofen, though.  I'm still waking up with Balloon Hand on the right side, but about 30 minutes to 1 hour after taking the Ketoprofen, as long as I do some stretches, I have nearly full mobility of my right hand.  Pretty cool.  

I have figured out an exercise that works for me to get the hand moving again.  Just pressing down on the knuckle joints or pulling my fingers back hurts way too much to keep up with in the morning.  Instead what works is for me to make as much of a fist as I can and smack it with increasing strength into my left palm.  Lightly at first, and upping the force as soon as the pain levels out.  Eventually this lets me make a full fist.  The only down side is that it looks like I'm making a fist and practicing punching into my other hand.  M says I look like I'm getting ready to take somebody down.  Yup, that's me.  Always ready to brawl.  Same thing with stretching my fingers backward--I straighten them out as far as they can go and start tapping them against my other hand until I get some movement back.  

I still can't get used to feeling of damn, I am SO not bendy in my hands.  It's really strange for me after all these years of being so loose in the ligaments.  

Hand stiffness using middle finger has measure
Time: 11:04 PM
L
Can touch forearm? Just barely
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 55º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 120º
R
Can touch forearm? Not a chance.  Yowch!
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 35º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 100º

No comments:

Post a Comment