Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hey, Hand--this blog is supposed to be about EDS.

Pain level: 5 
Dislocations so far today: left elbow
Subluxations so far today: Right shoulder a couple of times, left elbow once, right wrist once, and I subluxed my left hip from sneezing just now.  OW!
Meds: Ketoprofen-- 1 twice a day. 
Major complaint:  more stiffness/pain/swelling/itching/tingling in my fingers, hand, and wrist (R MUCH >L)

Okay, for real, Hand, this was not how things were supposed to go.  This was not really supposed to be about you--okay so maybe a little when your fingers dislocated, but you know what I mean.  I started this blog thing to keep track of my Ehlers Danlos crap, of which there is plenty.  I know how to deal with the EDS.  I've got that shit nearly down-pat.  Not that it is easy, but I understand it.  As in: Oops--my patella dislocated.  Okay, just make sure the leg is straight and push it down from the thigh and back into place until you get a good popcrunch.  Tah dah!  Now ice it and rest it until the boredom overcomes the pain. 

The plan was to keep track of things like that, so I could maybe find a pattern in my activities or medicines to improve my quality of life.  Sounds like a good plan, right?

The plan was not to deal with stuff that I have no idea why it's happening or what it is or how to make it stop.  Stuff that I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with the EDS.  I did that when doctors (and mostly me) were trying to figure out what my EDS symptoms  meant.  And it sucked.  But now that's over, and I'd like to keep the Hoshit, what's wrong, now! fiascoes in the past.  That isn't your plan though, Hand.

Like yesterday.  Right Hand, you were a little more puffy than normal and I was having a hard time all day convincing you that making a fist could be fun.  Especially the thumb, which stung really badly along the finger pad when I tried to force it to bend.  The skin split right down the thumbprint.  Great.  Guess, I need to learn not to be so forceful with you, huh Hand?    

And then last night, Hand, when you just suddenly started inflating like a balloon.  Turned reddish purple.  The skin starting stinging and tingling and burning and just all out hurting like hell.  I couldn't make a fist OR uncurl the fingers to straighten them out.  Out of no where.  

You felt better, Hand, when M got me an ice-pack for you to wear as a hat.  It didn't make the swelling go down, but at least I couldn't feel the stinging anymore.  It let me fall asleep and this morning you were back to "normal" puffiness like nothing had ever happened.  o.O

Hand, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind stopping with all this autoimmune crap so I could get back to writing about some good ol' fashioned dislocations.  Because those problems you just put back in joint, rest it, maybe ice it.  There's a course of action.  Not just wondering, what the hell?  And sometimes that is just plain worse than how much more dislocations/subluxations can hurt.   

Thanks for listening, Hand (And typing this out?  Weird.)

Your Friend,

The rest of me, with emphasis on the Brains part. 

Hand stiffness using middle finger has measure
Time: 2:29 PM
L
Can touch forearm? no, about 2 inches off
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 30º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 90º OW!
R
Can touch forearm? Not even funny how much this isn't a possibility
Angle of extension of the center joint of finger: 20º
Angle of extension of the last joint of finger: 60º
I really am trying to get used to those numbers, but it just feels so weird to have so little movement in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment